4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Trail Talk > South

Old 10-04-2001, 06:51 AM
homesick

Unhappy North Padra Island

Went to the national sea shore there this past weekend. I was disapointed after having seen it 28 years ago. Then it was 4 wheel drive as soon as you passed the sign, this time 2 wheel was fine just needed clearance. The island need a good flush!! The trash washed in from the ships at sea was a tragedy. I guess they need a good catagory 3 or 4 hurricane to wash it away. We camped and were quite alone and that part was very nice.
Plan to go to Big Bend in November hope it is better
Old 10-04-2001, 10:16 AM
Stretch

Question

What kind of 4-wheeling is there on the island? Is it mostly sand dunes? I've never been down there and was just wondering.

-Stretch
Old 10-05-2001, 05:31 AM
homesick

Smile

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stretch:
What kind of 4-wheeling is there on the island? Is it mostly sand dunes? I've never been down there and was just wondering.

-Stretch
</font>
The dunes are off limits by the NP people and need to be as they are a natural barrier to the storm surge of a huricane. That area is delicate like the tundra is in the high country. The beach sand used to be very challanging in itself but not his last time.

In 74 when we were there, a fella had allowed his rig to be under cut by the surf as the tide came in. The left side was down to the frame with wet sand packed into every opening! Anouther rig was trying to help dig and winch him out. They didn't want any more help so we moved on down the beach. It was very clean then and few folks there, but not this last time on the clean part. Thanks for asking, I do like this site as folks are very friendly and help full.

------------------
homesick in Houston, longing for the high country
Old 08-14-2002, 11:28 PM
XJTexas

Wink

Hello all I was browsing the forums and run across this one. was looking at the Question on one of the post.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Stretch:
-Stretch

there is a few places to 4-wheeling around the area down here the wildlife foundation is trying to keep alot of the 4x4ing to a minimum on the beaches of Padre Island but there are a few other places to goto that have a lot of changing invirment there is a place outside of browsville, Tx. we call the port at one end it gots some sand dunes and then it changes to log flat mudholes(well wet sand holes) kinda fun when you get up the nerv to try it. then theres the small like sand hills all over the place. you should come down a give it a try.
have a good time if you do.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:14 PM
Bob Frick

Cool

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stretch:

-Stretch
</font>
Last time I was on Padre Island (2 years ago), we rented a dune buggy- great fun. It is definitely a different type of off-roading compared to Colorado. The sand and terrain itself is remarkably similar to the sand dunes north of Walden, CO (as far as scrub brush looking plants and loose traction- minus the ocean). Granted we were hot-doggin' it, but 4-low is not needed nor recommended. Mostly wheel spin.

If you don't mind beating your vehicle with salt water, driving in the ocean was a blast as well. However I did watch a lifted F-250 sink into the surf as he flooded his engine.

Shoot, we drove our rental car approximately 20 miles on the beach near Corpus Christi (we stayed out of the deep stuff).

It sounds like the off-roading is being kept to a minimum now on the island. I do miss the island. Come January or February I will probably want to be back on the island and the valley for a quick visit.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:00 PM
TexasBlake

Well, I live out there. I visit it many times a year, and every time it is different. Sometimes you can drive the whole 60 miles in 2wd, sometimes you have to drive the whole 60 miles in 4WD going 10 mph.

There are places near there that you can go in the Dunes, it's closer to the Bob Hall Pier and is called Sea Pines. There are pics of my club wheeling there at www.wfo-offroad.com