4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Tech Talk > Tech

Old 02-12-2002, 10:12 PM
bill

Question XJ control arms

I have a Cherokee with a 3" ProComp lift in front which came with lower control arms. I also have a JKS adjustable trac bar. I have been having problems with front suspension bolts loosening up and causing clunks and pops as things shift around I tighten them down but after a couple of hard, flexing trails they loosen up again. Now the LCA bushings are going bad as well. I have also buggered up the LCA brackets on the axle end a little.
According to my mechanic, part of the problem is the ProComp contol arms don't allow any twist at full flex so all the strain is put on the bushings. His recommendation is replace the LCAs with TeraFlex LCAs and new bushings, straighten up and reinforce the stock brackets and weld a small "skid plate" across the front of them. This makes sense to me but I thought I'd get some opinions.

Question 1: TeraFlex or Rubicon Express LCAs (or what else is good?) or keep the ProCrap and replace the bushings every year?

Question 2: Patch up and reinforce the stock brackets or get heavy duty brackets (Currie? what others?)?

Question 3: How can I save up for my ARBs if I keep putting money into stuff I thought I already took care of? (oh, I guess that one's retorical.)

Thanks ahead of time for your opinions.

Old 02-13-2002, 10:38 AM
Dragon

Smile

Tomken makes some killer Currie Jonny Joint arms.
We put some on my stepfather's 2000 XJ.
They're adjustable for 3"-6" lift.
It probably wouldn't hurt to beef up the factory brackets also.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:55 PM
Stretch

I'm a big fan of Rusty's Off-Road stuff. He's got adjustable uppers and lowers that have worked out great on my '99 XJ. I know Rusty also makes some plates you can weld on to protect the axle brackets and I know some other companies make bolt on LCA skids.

As far as I know, 'wheeling' and 'saving' don't go together too well. It's usually one or the other.

Thanks-Stretch

------------------
scott@4x4trails.net
Old 02-13-2002, 11:36 PM
bill

Unhappy

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">As far as I know, 'wheeling' and 'saving' don't go together too well. It's usually one or the other.</font>
All too true, Scott. As you'll see from my "God..." post I just had to blow another chunk of change I wasn't planning on yet.

Old 03-09-2002, 09:27 AM
bill

Well, I ordered a set of RE adjustable LCAs fron JohnJohn at BigOffroad.com this week. They should come early next week and then I'll get them installed. I'm going to have the stock brackets fixed up and reinforced. Hopefully this will take care of it, at least for a while.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:00 AM
bill

Control Arms came yesterday. Dropped off the Cherokee at the shop today. Supposed to get it back Friday p.m. with brackets repaired/reinforced and new LCAs installed (shop is not open Saturday). Leaving for Spring Break 'wheeling in Grand Junction Sunday. PLEASE let everything go right!
Old 03-20-2002, 11:45 AM
Stretch

Thumbs up

Hey Bill-

What are they doign to reinforce the lca mounts? Hope all goes well. My XJ is in the shop getting the pinch seam straightened so I can get my new rock rails installed. I'll be down for a while.

-Stretch
Old 03-20-2002, 05:43 PM
bill

They're going to weld some steel plate across the front of the bracket like the weld-on "skid plates" you might have seen advertized. They may also weld some steel along the sides if it looks like it needs it.
Old 03-23-2002, 07:17 PM
bill

Well everything went smoothly and I have the Jeep back! Ready to head for Grand Junction tomorrow. Can't wait to try them out! They ended up fully bracing the sides of the brackets with 1/4 inch steel plate welded all around but not putting a front "skid plate" on the bracket. I may have that done later but didn't want to hold things up and miss my trip. The new LCAs are definitely a little beefier than the ProComps.
Old 03-23-2002, 07:56 PM
Stretch

Thumbs up

Sounds beefy, post some picts if you can. I spent a good amount of time installing my XJ Armor Rock Rails this weekend. STOUT! I can't wait to try them out. Hope your trip goes well, Bill.

-Stretch