4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Tech Talk > Tech

Old 12-27-2001, 12:17 PM
puppetmaster

Smile 1990 Jeep wrangler Upgrades

I have currently a stock 1990 Jeep wrangler that I need to lift and have lockers put on. Are there any pro/Cons to having a spring over done to it? Also I know very little about lockers other than they can help considerably on trails. Any recommendations? Also I am looking for a reliable shop in the aurora area that is reasonably priced.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:26 PM
bill

Well, I held off replying because I'm certainly no tech expert but I hate to see a post get no response...

A couple questions to ask yourself before you start mod-ing:

How hard core do you want to go?

Is this a trail-only rig (no need to consider street manners) or a daily driver (streetability is a consideration)?

How much money (and time if you do your own work) do you have to spend?

Once you get started it can be a never ending, very expensive, sometimes frustrating but often satisfying succession of projects to get your rig to do what you want it to.

As for spring over: I have no experience, just repaeting what I've heard (and maybe have that wrong so somebody chime in and correct me). Advantages: more lift for the buck, less spring arch to achieve lift, can be done with stock springs. Disadvantages: driveline angles, axle wrap, high center of gravity.

As for lockers: (again, not speaking from experience) For streetability a selectable locker like ARB or Ox are best (can be turned on or off). For a pure trail rig the Detroit seems to be the most popular for strength and reliabily.

Hope that helps you at least a little and maybe now somebody who knows more will set me straight.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:20 PM
blaircsf

Question

When you say spring over, are you talking about having the springs re-arched/replaced, or are you talking about a coil over (giving it suspension similar to the new ones)?
Old 01-15-2002, 09:32 PM
bill

Spring over generally means relocating the attaching point of leaf springs from under the axle to above the axle. It is short for "spring over axle (SOA). The fancy new-style suspension is a "coil over shock" or coilover (for short).

(I'm pretty sure that's right, Come on... some of you tech guys help me out here...)
Old 01-17-2002, 10:36 AM
DMurdock

Cool

Sounds like you have it right, but I am not too technical. As far as the first question goes, the best question to ask as Bill mentioned is, what is your intended use? Lockers can be very dangerous on ice if they are not selectable.

Just my $0.02
Old 01-30-2002, 09:17 AM
puppetmaster

My rig will be mainly trail rig but do use it for about 3 miles a day for just taking the kids to school. I expect it to be expensive and want to do it right the first time.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bill:
Well, I held off replying because I'm certainly no tech expert but I hate to see a post get no response...

A couple questions to ask yourself before you start mod-ing:

How hard core do you want to go?

Is this a trail-only rig (no need to consider street manners) or a daily driver (streetability is a consideration)?

How much money (and time if you do your own work) do you have to spend?

Once you get started it can be a never ending, very expensive, sometimes frustrating but often satisfying succession of projects to get your rig to do what you want it to.

As for spring over: I have no experience, just repaeting what I've heard (and maybe have that wrong so somebody chime in and correct me). Advantages: more lift for the buck, less spring arch to achieve lift, can be done with stock springs. Disadvantages: driveline angles, axle wrap, high center of gravity.

As for lockers: (again, not speaking from experience) For streetability a selectable locker like ARB or Ox are best (can be turned on or off). For a pure trail rig the Detroit seems to be the most popular for strength and reliabily.

Hope that helps you at least a little and maybe now somebody who knows more will set me straight.
</font>