4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Trail Talk > Rocky Mountains

Old 04-03-2001, 10:34 PM
sjrmccoy

Post Camping Trial?

My wife and I enjoy our weekends spent out on the trails. I drive a 97 tj with a 2.5in rancho lift w/ 32 tires and will have my winch put on by summer. Most of our trips have been in the Crested Butte/Crystal area but would love to hear any comments on some recommended trails with a good spot to pitch a tent (campground is not required at all). Also, are there any trails open this time of year close to Denver? (sorry for the multiple question)

------------------
Old 04-03-2001, 11:58 PM
CecilTheTurtle

Lefthand/Carnage and Hackett are open pretty much year round. The higher trails won't open up for a while yet.

As for camping there's some trails near Buena Vista that are nice. Hancock Pass and Grizzly Lake are two with some nice camping spots. Most of the high trails have campsites near them somewhere along the way.

------------------
1999 TJ Sport w/D44
Mods:
RE 3" SuperFlex lift, Warn HS9500i Winch, Bulletproof Mfg. FF5 front bumper, Tomken Rear Bumper w/gas cans & spare tire carrier, Tomken Gas Tank & 2x4 Rocker Skids, Tuffy Rear & Side Storage Trunks

http://bigi.com/~kbrady/Jeep.html
Old 04-04-2001, 09:30 AM
Dragon

Talking

Hancock Pass is a great choice, there is some fun wheelin' all around there.
That valley is beautiful, and doesn't get too much traffic.

The passes around Lake City, Ouray, and Telluride are all spectacular.

Old 04-04-2001, 10:38 AM
Stretch

Thumbs up

There are some really easy trails that are part of Devil's Canyon. They're just south of Idaho Springs. The exit is marked off of 103 heading up Mt. Evans. There are quite a few areas to play around there and quite a few nice camping spots.

-Scott

------------------
scott@4x4trails.net
Old 04-04-2001, 03:44 PM
bill

There are some very nice easy to moderate trails with very pretty camping spots off of Willow Creek Pass between Granby and Rand/Walden. I have fond memories of a long weekend in that area a few years ago.

As for Devil's Canyon near Mt. Evans, I haven't been up there but from what I've read I don't think it is open until the end of June to protect Elk Calving areas. You mihgt want to check with the Ranger station in Idaho Springs.
Old 04-04-2001, 09:43 PM
Mountain Goat

A definite on my list of camping spots this summer is at Wheeler Lake at the top of the trail. Maybe a bit cold, but it's beautiful and a really fun trail. Won't be able to get up there for a while though. Probably into July....

-steve