4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Trail Talk > Rocky Mountains

Old 02-21-2003, 01:05 PM
mooncricket

Question weekend wheeling

Does anyone know if Rampart Range Road is open down towards woodland park? If not, does anyone know of any trails or passes that would be open for a good day of wheeling?
Old 02-21-2003, 02:35 PM
bill

I believe Rampart Range Road itself is plowed and kept open all year. It is a graded gravel road suitable for passenger cars. Most of the trails off of it don't have gates so you should be able to find something. You might try Winding Stairs/Ice Cave Creek (FR 323/324) just north of Mt. Hermon Road, or Hotel Gulch Road (FR346) which goes from that same general area over to highway 67 just north of Woodland Park.

These are all pretty easy when dry. I have no idea how much snow you will find, though. I would NOT recommend going alone.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:12 PM
naph

I was at Mt. Herman road last week, not to much snow. If I have time, and don't have to work I might be going tommorrow.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:09 PM
Z71

Rampart is closed. That was one of the first places I tried to go when I bought the H2 in either late December or early January. You could get to the trail heads from either end, but the majority of the road is gated off.

Old 02-25-2003, 10:15 AM
landbruiser

i'm going to try out my new chains up at bald mtn. in red feather lakes this weekend, forest service web site says its still open, possibly might try seven mile also
Old 02-25-2003, 11:04 AM
Bob Frick

Cool

The Rocky Mountain Moggers Cold Butt campout was in that neck of the woods on February 15-16. Essentially we drove Mt. Herman Road, a short stretch of Rampart Range Road, then FR 322, Balanced Rock Road- camping at the end.

With the exception of 322, the rest was a non-issue. 322 was more of a challenge- a lot of ice and snow, requiring pulling a few Pinzgauers and a Jeep out of harms way (no one was chained up at this time- very icy and the ditches liked to pull in the front tire(s)). Everyone chained up coming out- no problems.

Bring tire chains and a buddy. In the summer I would take a well clearanced car or minivan down most of these roads.