4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Trail Talk > Rocky Mountains

Old 09-25-2000, 11:20 AM
AFUinCO

Angry Mudfest 2000 RE: Boulder 9/23 - KBPI

Hey,
Do any of you know anything about this, Especially CO wheelers? I saw this link on JU, and saw the article in yesterday's paper, and again in todays, also saw it on 3 different newscasts yesterday.

Here's the link: http://jeepsunlimited.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/004608.html

Any info you have is appreciated! THANKS!!!

------------------
Take care,
Keith
AFUinCO
'99 'Migo Black Softie, 4" CP lift, Rancho RS9000, 31"BFG AT on AR767, Custom Boulder Bars.
(Future mods) Custom front bumper w/winch mount, Warn XD9000, Custom Rear bumper, roof rack e/w lighting and load basket.

Old 09-25-2000, 01:48 PM
CecilTheTurtle

Angry

Heard about it on the radio last week, but never found out where they were going. I was going to post on JU and tell people to avoid the area, but didn't know where they would be.

Willy B has done the same thing before. He had a bunch of idiots up in Lefthand Canyon a while ago. A bunch of drunk idiots running around up there. I believe there were at least two rollovers and some broken axles along with much other minor carnage.

------------------
1999 TJ Sport w/D44
Mods:
RE 3" SuperFlex lift, Bulletproof Mfg. FF5 front bumper, Tomken Rear Bumper w/gas cans & spare tire carrier, Tomken Gas Tank & 2x4 Rocker Skids, Tuffy Rear & Side Storage Trunks

http://bigi.com/~kbrady/Jeep.html
Old 09-25-2000, 03:28 PM
scaughlin

I don't know all of the details surrounding the incident, however, I seriously cannot believe that as many as 200 vehicles (400 people) would participate in such an action. I truly enjoy wheeling, but I have a tremendous respect for the land and conservation. The simple fact that this event destroyed wildlife habitat is enough in its own. As for the trespassing, I hope the land owner is furious. This made headlines and again brings out the negative in 4-Wheeling. Boulder county is already trying to shut down a number of trails. This just adds fuel to the fire. I thought we all went by the "TREAD LIGHTLY" philosophy.

...there, I feel better now!!!!!!!

steve
Old 09-26-2000, 05:11 PM
TripleZero

A friend posted this on some other BBS's. Please read.

We have a large issue here in Colorado with a certain individual that is giving off roaders a BAD name. He works for a local rock radio station KBPI and he goes by Willie B. His last offense was he invited over the air waves for people to meet him at a place and go wheeling. Over 200 vehicles ended up tearing up Caribou Flats, 25 acre wetland, which lies on private land and tore it all to hell. They called it a "mud fest." The owner tried to get them to stop and leave and the "mudders" just flipped him off and continued. The "mudders" ran OVER the No Trespassing signs on their way to this wetland. The owner has maintained this area for nearly THREE DECADES! This is not the first time this person has led a crusade of people and ruined nature. He also is known to throw animals from several, 4-6 stories, building to see if they will survive. We are talking Dogs, Chickens, Cats, Animals like this. He does all kinds of stuff like this on the air to get ratings. I use to like the music they played but will no longer listen to the station.

What I need from all of you is what do we do about this. Some of you on this board are in Colorado and may already know about this. Please help. We need to stop this kind of problem.

A few of us learned about this just a few hours ago and are already thinking of contacting the owner and seeing if we can help rebuild this wetland. We need to reinstate our image as good people and not all off-roaders are a$$ holes. I am sick and tired of people like this destroying our name. We are good people and do not want to be assosiated with this kind of scum. Please help out and let me know what we need to do or start up the correct action and tell us how we can help. Thank you for listening and I hope you can help.

------------------
TripleZero
Mike
Highland 4x4

88" Toyota p/u
3" bodylift, 33's
Detroit EZ-Locker
future mods on the way
Old 10-06-2000, 08:00 PM
mule

Thumbs down

Willy is on his secound round in Colorado. He was w/ KBPI in the 90s and got canned for being a crack head. I had the yoy of having some of his buds on one of my job sites. I do want to say though he is actually more mellow this time around. Also, he dropped a chicken off a parking garage, nothing else. He made a big mess up Lefthand before the Trailridge Runners and Mile-Hi crews were to do a cleanup. Gene King from the Colorado assoc. of 4wd clubs told me Willy left them pretty much and extra roll-off worth of trash to pick up. He did host his own cleanup a few weeks later, but that was after he had a ton of pressure to do so. He really has no cares about what he does, it's all publicity for the station. I listened to him untill he started the weird crap again.

What I want to know is if there is going to be an official "cleanup/repair" to repair the damage??????
Mule
Old 10-15-2000, 05:45 PM
sparky96disco

Unhappy

Being new the four-wheel drive scene in Colorado I had scheduled to drive the Caribou trail the Saturday that this "MUDfest" actually occured on. Luckily, I had to work but I went up on the wednesday after and was able to take 2 trash bags full of garbage (beer cans mostly) out with me. I was astounded by the devastation to the land. I just went back this last weekend (10/14) and noticed that while the boulders and fences that were removed were back in place, the marsh which was driven over was actually looking worse from the ensuing erosion that was taking place. Its just a sad thing...

Sincerley
Justin

------------------
Justin Day