4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Trail Talk > Rocky Mountains

Old 02-21-2002, 01:00 AM
OmnipotentOne

Post N00b to the board (and 4wheelin) lookin for help

Hey whatsup guys, been scannin the sight for a couple days and am liking what im seeing.

Anywhoo, i know your all hardcore 4 wheelers with 62 inch lifts and 65x25.50 tires ;-) So far all i have done is some of the stuff Off 21st street in CO-springs, and i used to do the little things that were all along Rampart Range Road towards the Garden of the Gods end.

I was just wondering what some trails i could do in a stock 97 Cherokee that arent too far from here are. I went up to hackets with my friend in a stock wrangler, and his manager (2k TJ 35's 6inch, ARB's, winch, teralow 4:1, you get the idea ;-)) and his roommate(?? year suzuki 33's lockers etc.)
a couple weeks ago in the snow, the decked out gusy had no trouble, but the stock wrangler made it, hacket's rock was the main problem, after that it wasnt too bad, river crossings were a bit hairy, 3rd one the front end fell in over the tires but we made it out ok, hehe.

Sorry to go on about random BS. But if anyone knows of any trails that arent especially far from the springs that are not quite so hairy as hacket's that i could do in my jeep it would be much appreicated.

Oh yea, if anyone knows a sight that is more tailored to XJ's that i could look around on that would kick ass too, thanks.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:49 AM
87Pathfinder

Thumbs up

Whats up? I'm not sure of any trails around the CO Springs area, but I always run Lefthand Canyon and Slauterhouse. Anyway, I can help with the XJ websights. I used to own an 87 Nissan Pathfinder, 1" lift, and 31's, but I recently bought an 88 XJ and I chopped it up, put 31's on it and am going to buy a 2" very soon. I love the XJ. Anyway, Jeepsunlimited.com is a great XJ sight, and if you look through this website of the different links to different sights I am sure you'll find some more. Have fun
Old 02-21-2002, 11:22 AM
OmnipotentOne

Thanks, i have been looking at the sight, and there is a lot of useful information. Heh for instance the coil spacers up front and long shackles in the rear. thinking about doing that. again thank you.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:16 PM
bill

There are a lot of trails off of Rampart Range Road that your XJ could handle easily. Watson Park, Upper Resevoir, Dakan Mountain, just to name a few. Also, in the same area as Hacket, Metbeery Gulch and Northrop gulch are a little easier and should be no problen for you. There's also some trails off of Old Stage Road that I've heard should be in your limits but I've never done any of those myself.

Go to the trails button on the top menu and search by proximity for trails within 50 (100?) miles of CO Sprgs. Then look for trail ratings up to 6 (7 if you want a challenge and are willing to risk a little damage).

I ran my Cherokee stock for several years and, with a little experience was able to handle 7s and 8s without too much trouble. If you haven't disconnected your swaybar, learn how to do it. It makes a huge difference in what the XJ can handle. You don't have to have quick disconncts, it can be done in about 5-10 minutes with a 15mm and 18mm wrench/socket.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:21 PM
OmnipotentOne

Yeah, ive been debating doing that, my only worry is that my handling on road will go to the toilet. but heck i can always put it back on if i dont like it right ;-). Ill definitely try those out that you named.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:45 PM
blaircsf

The idea is that you disconnect the swaybar at the trail head, and then reconnect it at the end of the trail. This is why swaybar quick disconnects are nice, it turns into a minute or two job at both end. As Bill said though, you can do it with the stock ones.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:49 PM
RedBullXJ

Welcome to the board! There are quite a few XJ's on this board. If you have a question, post it and I'm sure someone will be able to help. Like Bill said, you would be surprised what an XJ can get through with disconnects and a mild lift (2-3"). The key is to get on the trails and learn your vehicle (What it can and can't do). Good luck and we'll see ya on the trails!

------------------
Aaron
99XJ
Old 02-22-2002, 05:04 PM
bill

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Yeah, ive been debating doing that, my only worry is that my handling on road will go to the toilet </font>
Well I was really talking about just taking it off for trail use and putting it back on for the street (like blaircfs said). I did it that way without disconnects for over a year. It's a bit of a pain but worth the trouble. What I would usually do is unbolt it in the driveway when I was packing up for the trip and reconnect it when I got home and unpacked.

I've never had trouble driving to and from the trail with it disconnected as long as I stay at or below the posted speed limit. The only time it felt a little too squirrely for comfort was coming down US 24 from Woodland Park into Colorado Springs. I wasn't watching my speed closely and when I looked down I was up to about 75 in the 50 zone! Once I got the speed back down it was fine.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:06 AM
DaJudge

Smile

Welcome! Here's an XJ forum: http://www.ilovejeeps.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=2 Also be sure to sign up for the Colorado Wheelers section there.

------------------
Colorado Off Road 4X4 Club

"It will take millions of years for the elements to wear down the mountains. When they are gone,... I will drive my Jeep on the Flatlands."

87 YJ (son's)
96 ZJ Laredo (wife's)
97 TJ (mine)
Old 02-27-2002, 08:58 PM
87Pathfinder

HAHA, people think I'm crazy, but I run without either front or rear sways on my 88 XJ. It does alright on the road. Theyre slow ayway, so you just can't take city street corners as fast. By the way, summitoffroad.com has a 2" econo lift for 110 bucks. Spacers up front, shackles in the rear. I'm buying it next week.
Clark