4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Site Comments > Off-Topic

Old 04-03-2006, 09:26 AM

Default question

I don't normally post, but I thought I'd throw this out because of the good group that tend to use this site. I just returned from Moab, had to take the Xterra because the wife made me compromise on comfort. So the Jeep was home in the garage.

I was in Canyonlands on the White Rim Road and decided to take Lathrop Canyon to the river for lunch. On the way down I saw the trail and decided to walk it for a ways just as a recon. I saw a group coming up the trail and asked them what it was like. They were running moderately modified vehicles, but the smallest tires looked to be 35's. I got replies that surprised me. "Don't take you rig down there it won't make it back up," and "walk it, you'll find it more enjoyable." Well I walked a little further and saw the trail wasn't that bad. I was able to get the Xterra down and up again with little problem.

My question is this... has the 4x4 world been modified so much that there are no drivers who can capably drive a stock vehicle? Thought I'd throw that out to ya'll since because most here seem grounded in reality.

Anyways had a great time. Later
Old 04-03-2006, 09:43 AM

I will say that I have seen a lot of both. Spring creek or carnage canyon(LH) are my favorite examples. I will see almost stock rigs go through with little trouble, but then people with 35's and lockers getting stuck and breaking things.

My jeep liberty has made me see the same thing that you saw. People are so ready to get the 6" lift and 35's that they forget to learn to drive. I guess if you have the money why not.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 74BRONCO

Stock vehicles teach finesse. I agree that a lit of folks think to make their rigs do anything, they need lifts and meats, but everyone should start out stock and work their way up. Always take what other folks say with a grain of salt. It's good that you walked it first tho.

J.D.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jeepsr4girls

Our friend Dutch taught us alot about what a stock vehicle can do.

He would drive up things you would never imagine. He has since built up his jeep, but I will never forget the things he did.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to Alpine Spirit

I know what you mean years ago I took my stock X up to wheeler lake, sliders and still had alloy wheels.... everyone thought I was NUTZ!!!

I have always felt finess is better than the skinny pedal.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:50 PM

My wife just drove her stock Suzuki Sidekick through Steel Bender in Moab last week. Only used assistance (other than spotting) going down one big ledge and I think she could have done it without. We have had several instances of people telling us she'll never make it on a trail (China Wall, Middle St. Vrain, Porcupine Rim and Schofield Pass to name a few) that she has proven wrong. On the other hand I often hear people understating the difficulty of trails as well (Like the guy that told me he could drive Spring Creek in 2wd backwards it was so easy). I tend to take other people's with a grain of salt. Too many forget it's 90% driver and 10% rig.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:15 AM

I disagree with people thinking that you cant do anything in a stocker. In my experience most stock 4x4s can handle all but the hardest trails. The right line and throttle controll can get you a lot of places.