4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Tech Talk > Tech

Old 04-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to Dirty Dog
Default Jeep Wrangler Buildup

Some of you may have seen my '89 Wrangler in it's first iteration. It threw a rod in the sad little 2.4L one night and left my son stranded on the highway. We got him home, but by the time we got back to tow the Jeep home it had been stripped. The thieves took everything from the CB and GPS to the 37" Swampers and Eagle Alloy 589's. They even took the case of oil from behind the seat.
I was more than a little disgusted, so I stuck some stock wheels/tires on it (which looks great with 9" of lift...), drug it home, put it in the garage and ignored it for 2 years.
Now I'm building it again.
I bought a '79 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton truck for a donor vehicle. We've stripped it of everything we thought might be remotely useful and sold the body and frame to a scrap yard.
This week we stripped the Wrangler. Here's a picture of my poor naked Jeep.

Here's our plan:
The D44 and 12 bolt are designed for a spring over. I don't want another 6-7" of lift, so we're going to do a bit of trimming on the front diff housing and convert them to spring under. The rear diffwas recently rebuilt, although both are open right now. Gears and lockers will be put in after it's on the road a bit so I can figure out the right gear ratio.
The NP-203 is rock solid, so other than making sure it's sealed, no more is being done.
The TH-350 has less than 500 miles on a rebuild, so it's good to go.
The 350 has been stripped down to a bare block. It'll be rebuilt as a 383 stroker. Until it's done, I've got a running 305 that'll get stuck in just to get the Jeep on the road.
We know we need to buy spring perches and shock mounts, motor mounts and headers. We're going to have to fab a crossmember and skid plates as well as the exhaust. We saved the drive shafts, but obviously they won't be the right length. A CV joint rear driveshaft is a possibility, depending on how far forward we're able to mount the engine. We also know the Jeep cooling system will be inadequate, so it's gone too (actually, I had a brand new radiator in it, so it's going in my buddies CJ to replace his mildly leaky one).
The Wrangler has a 3" body lift on it, as well as 6" of suspension lift. I'm thinking this will allow us to mount the driveline high enough that little if any will hang below the frame, making skid plates easier to build.
I had 37" tires on it before, which at full turn would just barely kiss the springs. The full width axles will eliminate that, and allow even larger tires if desired.
I've already got a new Steel Horse interior in it as well as a Bestop soft top.
Can anybody think of anything we haven't thought of? Anby suggestions are welcome.
\'98 Dodge Ram - 408 stroker motor, 7\" lift, 37\" Swamper SSR\'s, 4.56 gears, front ARB, rear Detroit, front ARB, ORT bumpers, Armorology rock sliders, MileMarker 12000lb winch, 700W Kenwood, KC, PIAA & Lightforce illumination, Realistic CB, Magellan GPS-315, Delorme GPS navigation, custom paint and bodywork by Rocks & Trees Inc.

\'89 Jeep Wrangler - 9\" Skyjacker lift, 383 stroker Chevy, Holley Projection TBI, TH350, NP203, D44 front with high steer, 12 bolt rear, Blue Torch Fab diff armor, 5.13 gears, Detroits, 37x14x16 Swamper IROKs on 16x10 with Staun internal beadlocks, Poison Spyder rollcage, Poison Spyder Stinger, MileMarker 12000lb winch with dash mounted controls, Steel Horse interior, 5-point harnesses, Cobra CB, Puma Onboard Air, Lowrance Baja-540C...

\'96 Jeep Cherokee - the Family Truckster...
\'82 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre - Stock
\'97 Chevy Camaro convertible - Stock, Sue\'s toy
\'95 Pontiac Trans Am convertible - NOT stock, \"Objects In Mirror Are Imports\"
\'03 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally - Stock, the $4/gallon driver
Old 04-21-2005, 03:02 PM

You could always toss the body lift and keep the SOA conversion...

That'd give you a good 12 inches of suspension lift - plenty of room for fat tires.
Assorted dents, cracks and scratches
Old 04-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Administrator

I thought about that, but if my measurements are correct, the body lift will let me mount the driveline high enough that little, if any, will hang below the frame. That means I can easily make a flat skidplat, and will also minimize how often that skidplate actually hits anything.
If I were starting over with a stock rig, I'd do the springover, but the Skyjacker lift is already in, and the stock springs are long gone. If my measurements are correct, I should be able to run 37" tires without any problems, and once I flatfender it and cut the rear quarters, 40-44" should be possible. 12", I think, would be too high for a trail rig. It would be too tippy, especially since the wheelbase won't be more than a couple inchs longer than stock. Keeping in mind that it had 28" tires stock, the total lift with 37" tires means it already sits 13-14" higher than stock. I'd prefer not to test the rollbar any sooner than necessary.
\'98 Dodge Ram - 408 stroker motor, 7\" lift, 37\" Swamper SSR\'s, 4.56 gears, front ARB, rear Detroit, front ARB, ORT bumpers, Armorology rock sliders, MileMarker 12000lb winch, 700W Kenwood, KC, PIAA & Lightforce illumination, Realistic CB, Magellan GPS-315, Delorme GPS navigation, custom paint and bodywork by Rocks & Trees Inc.

\'89 Jeep Wrangler - 9\" Skyjacker lift, 383 stroker Chevy, Holley Projection TBI, TH350, NP203, D44 front with high steer, 12 bolt rear, Blue Torch Fab diff armor, 5.13 gears, Detroits, 37x14x16 Swamper IROKs on 16x10 with Staun internal beadlocks, Poison Spyder rollcage, Poison Spyder Stinger, MileMarker 12000lb winch with dash mounted controls, Steel Horse interior, 5-point harnesses, Cobra CB, Puma Onboard Air, Lowrance Baja-540C...

\'95 Pontiac Trans Am convertible - NOT stock, \"Objects In Mirror Are Imports\"
Old 04-22-2005, 07:41 AM

the only concern i would have would be using that d44 for 37" tires. that's a big tire for that axle!

mike
Old 04-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Administrator

I run 37" tires on my Ram. About 8000 lbs, with a 450HP 408 stroker. Locked front and rear. It also has a D44 in the front, and although I have snapped axles it's always been because I've been stupid.
I think it should hold up ok in a vehicle that weighs half as much.
If not, ARB sells a locker that allows you to put D60 shafts in the D44 housing. For other Wrangler owners, they also sell a kit that will let you put D44 shafts in your D30/35 housings.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 74BRONCO

I have one comment:

KEEP US POSTED!! I sure would like to see your buildup process. Sorry about it getting stripped tho! That's unbelieveable!

J.D.