4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Tech Talk > Tech

Old 03-01-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Wanting more articulation

Greetings all,

Just took my 85 CJ on Slaughterhouse, what a bunch of fun.

However, there was one spot where I realized that I need more flex (along with lockers) to get through, and had to take an alternate route.

What can I do to get more flex easily and cheaply? The sway bar is on, but I want to use this as a daily driver. Do the sway bar quick disconnects make a big difference? And I have two different kind of shocks on it, and I am guessing from the previous owner that they would do a Honda Civic proud. So I am assuming new shocks would help also?

Any other hints or ideas? Longer brake lines, etc.?

Thanks (and lookin forward to spring wheelin with no snow)

Jetsi
Old 03-01-2005, 06:16 PM

. hi,
yes sway bars discon will make a difference. on my XJ i don?t run the sway bar and it really freed up the flex. as for the shocks the only way shocks give you flex is if they are long enough. so unless yours are too short i dont think new ones will help any. are you break lines stretched? if they are they must be replaced for longer ones for safety. if they rupture there goes the brakes
Old 03-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to Dirty Dog

Sway bar discos make a huge difference. I used to flex till I lifted a tire. After taking off the sway bar, I flex till the tire stuffs into the rock slider.
Brake lines should not be capable of limiting flex. If they're too short, they'll rip off. Making sure yours are long enough is a matter of safety, not flex.
Shocks can limit flex in both directions. If yours are not the right length they will run out of travel in either (or both) directions. Disconnect a shock at the bottom end and jack up the Jeep from the frame so the suspension will fully droop. Now extend the shock and see if it reaches. If not, it lacks extention. Now cycle the suspension compression by lifting the Jeep from under the tire until the suspension is fully compressed. Check the shock length again. Got enough compression? If it's lacking in either direction, it's limiting flex. And flex limited by shocks (rather than bumpstops, on compression) will destroy the shocks.
For leaf spring rigs like your CJ, Terra Flex makes revolver shackles and Z-boxes that improve flex drastically. You'll have to re-evaluate shock length with these in place. Also bear in mind that they have a mild impact on daily driving, since they tend to clang a little as they load and unload. Noisey sometimes, but harmless.
A CJ can gain flex by switching to YJ springs. Conversion kits cost a couple hundred bucks, and the ones I've seen do not include the springs.
For ultimate flex, of course, you'll have to change to coils, but that's probably a larger job than you're interested in.
\'98 Dodge Ram - 408 stroker motor, 7\" lift, 37\" Swamper SSR\'s, 4.56 gears, front ARB, rear Detroit, front ARB, ORT bumpers, Armorology rock sliders, MileMarker 12000lb winch, 700W Kenwood, KC, PIAA & Lightforce illumination, Realistic CB, Magellan GPS-315, Delorme GPS navigation, custom paint and bodywork by Rocks & Trees Inc.

\'89 Jeep Wrangler - 9\" Skyjacker lift, 383 stroker Chevy, Holley Projection TBI, TH350, NP203, D44 front with high steer, 12 bolt rear, Blue Torch Fab diff armor, 5.13 gears, Detroits, 37x14x16 Swamper IROKs on 16x10 with Staun internal beadlocks, Poison Spyder rollcage, Poison Spyder Stinger, MileMarker 12000lb winch with dash mounted controls, Steel Horse interior, 5-point harnesses, Cobra CB, Puma Onboard Air, Lowrance Baja-540C...

\'96 Jeep Cherokee - the Family Truckster...
\'82 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre - Stock
\'97 Chevy Camaro convertible - Stock, Sue\'s toy
\'95 Pontiac Trans Am convertible - NOT stock, \"Objects In Mirror Are Imports\"
\'03 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally - Stock, the $4/gallon driver
Old 03-02-2005, 06:08 PM

Default I will check it out

Thanks for the input. A quick disconnect for the sway bar will be in my near future.

I will look at the shocks too. I am almost willing to bet they are for an unlifted Jeep, and I have a 2.5 inch lift. So I bet there are some problems there.

With the appropriate shocks do you think the brake lines will need attention? That would be a real bummer on the trail. Something else I should look at that would be fairly inexpensive, but it would be a weekend project.

And I have heard about the z-box and revolving shackles, but that is something I can do later if I determine it is needed. I want to do some difficult trails but nothing that will require a crowbar to get out of the seat (since I am taking my family along with me).

Thanks,

Jetsi