4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Trail Talk > Rocky Mountains

Old 08-26-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Tire Advice

Looking to get some new tires for the 04 Tundra as a 1st step in modification. I drive my truck mostly on the road and pull a boat with the occasional wheelin trip two or three times a month usually not to exceed a 4 or 5 rating. So, I have been considering the Bridgestone Dueler AT and they have a newer one called Dueler AT Revo. Any suggestions??
Old 08-26-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Tires

Had to open this can of worms, did ya? Iam sold on Coopers. the only bad is ...NO road hazzard! been running Coopers on EVERYTHING i own. from street to offroad. street..Cobras.
offroad..... on the xj-Discoverer Radial LT/AT-6-ply... The Ford- Discoverer SST Radial, muds also 6-ply. been running Coopers for about 15-16 years and NOT 1 tire failure. cut the side wall on 1 once due to a bad shock.(street) my fault. VERY few flats. and real good milage. not what they rate , but real close. Iam lazy about rotateing them BFG would be my next choise... might try a set next time to save a little $$$$$. the coopers DO cost a little more, but I think they are worth the money.
NEXT............
Old 08-27-2004, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to Dirty Dog

For street (or mostly street) and mild trail running I'd go with one of three choices.
1 - Goodyear Wrangler MTR
2 - BFG AT
3 - BFG MT

The BFG AT is pretty much the standard by which all AT tires are judged. The MT is more aggressive without beign overly loud on the highway.
I'd never seen much of the Wrangler MTR, but it comes on the Rubicon and several people at the RTCC were running them with excellent results.
\'98 Dodge Ram - 408 stroker motor, 7\" lift, 37\" Swamper SSR\'s, 4.56 gears, front ARB, rear Detroit, front ARB, ORT bumpers, Armorology rock sliders, MileMarker 12000lb winch, 700W Kenwood, KC, PIAA & Lightforce illumination, Realistic CB, Magellan GPS-315, Delorme GPS navigation, custom paint and bodywork by Rocks & Trees Inc.

\'89 Jeep Wrangler - 9\" Skyjacker lift, 383 stroker Chevy, Holley Projection TBI, TH350, NP203, D44 front with high steer, 12 bolt rear, Blue Torch Fab diff armor, 5.13 gears, Detroits, 37x14x16 Swamper IROKs on 16x10 with Staun internal beadlocks, Poison Spyder rollcage, Poison Spyder Stinger, MileMarker 12000lb winch with dash mounted controls, Steel Horse interior, 5-point harnesses, Cobra CB, Puma Onboard Air, Lowrance Baja-540C...

\'96 Jeep Cherokee - the Family Truckster...
\'82 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre - Stock
\'97 Chevy Camaro convertible - Stock, Sue\'s toy
\'95 Pontiac Trans Am convertible - NOT stock, \"Objects In Mirror Are Imports\"
\'03 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally - Stock, the $4/gallon driver
Old 08-27-2004, 08:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 74BRONCO

Drifto, I'm not stepping on your toes, but I just don't have knowledge or experience with coopers.

So I have to agree with DD, if you want excellent off-road performance with some street manners, go for the MTR's. Next in line would be the BFG MT's. Now if you're concerned about being noisy, go with the BFG AT as they are an all around great tire. You sacrifce some lugs (traction, noise) for street manners. It all depends on where you plan to wheel too. If you like mud and snow, go as agressive as you can stand (MTR's or MT's), but if you stick to dirt and rocks, the AT's will serve you nicely.

I used to think tires didn't make that much difference. My first set of off-road tires come stock on my 99 F-150 They were goodyear AT/S's and I thought they were all that, but once I replaced them with Yokohama AT II's, boy was I mistaken. Those AT/S's sucked except for looks. The AT II's would run circles around the AT/S's even in their element; snow!

the Yokohama AT II's are also a tire I would consider equal to the BFG AT's. Maybe even a little more quite, but just as good off-road.

You might look and see if 4 wheel dummies, or I mean Parts, is running a sale for buy 3, get 1 free on pro-comp. I don't know how they perform, but someone here does.

Let us know what you decide and what deal you come up with.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:00 AM

Thanks all. I'm still looking and damn, tires are too pricey!!
Old 08-27-2004, 09:50 AM

Default tires

Thats O.K. J.D., aint steeping on my toes. have not tried any other brands for offroad tires. sold on Coopers but like i said.. might try the BFG tko's on the next set. for the XJ, will need them soon. could prob use them now.

bpickle......
4-wheel farts is running a sale on PRO COMPS and BFG right now. its......save $60.00, free lifetime warranty and free freight . dont know how long but found it in my email this morning
Old 01-21-2005, 09:31 PM

I have 31" MTR's on my 99 Grand Cherokee and I love them. The noise is relativly low compared to alot of other tires that are this agressive. They wear really well for on-road use.. Should get quite a few miles out of them.

Off-road they work great as well. I just got back from playing around out in a snow storm we're in the middle of here in Wisconsin. I managed to climb about a 40degree incline covered with about a foot of snow. With my old tires I had trouble climbing it when there wasn't snow. It's a grass hill and if it was a little wet at all I couldn't make it up. With these MTR's I had no problem making it up with a foot of snow. No question in my mind, when these tires need to be replaced, I will get another set of MTR's. Though, maybe a little bigger.

Not to mention, the MTR's just look cool.

Peace...
Old 01-21-2005, 10:52 PM

For the use you described I think the BFG AT ko's are exactly what you want. More than plenty good for moderate trails, very good street manners and they wear better than the Goodyear MTRs. I have run them for several years and a couple different rigs. I get mine at the Discount Tire on 120th just east of I-25. They usually have VERY competative prices, the road hazard warantee is availble and they have always given me good customer service.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:05 PM

Default In response to what Bill said . . .

I hear the Goodyear MTR's are great tires. Perhaps a little too sticky. I have heard that they don't last very long due to their softness. I would really like to put them on my CJ but I don't want to do it every year.

Anybody have any comments?

Jetsi
Old 01-22-2005, 05:55 PM

Well lets put it this way..... I had a set of G.Y.'s at one time and they never even came close to the mileage I was told they would get. Yes, they grip, but at a cost.