4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Trail Talk > Rocky Mountains

Old 10-01-2003, 09:35 PM

Talking Saturday Wheeling Near Central City

A couple of us are heading up near Central City before 9 AM Saturday to check out a trail my friend found last year. I don't think it has any particular name. He says the main trail is nice, but there's a mile or longer section that is nasty with lots of boulders ... that's the part we're going for. I've taken him to Wheeler and Holy Cross, so I know when he says it's rough, it really is! Let me know if you want to join us for a 1/2 day of wheeling, we could meet somewhere on west 6th Ave, perhaps John Elway Jeep just past I-70. We plan to be back in town no later than 3 PM. He runs 33's on a TJ and 4 inches of lift, and I'm running 35's with 6 inches. From what he tells me this section of the trail is not for stock height vehicles ... he was hitting his belly up plate in places.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:35 PM

Talking Saturday Wheeling Near Central City

A couple of us are heading up near Central City before 9 AM Saturday to check out a trail my friend found last year. I don't think it has any particular name. He says the main trail is nice, but there's a mile or longer section that is nasty with lots of boulders ... that's the part we're going for. I've taken him to Wheeler and Holy Cross, so I know when he says it's rough, it really is! Let me know if you want to join us for a 1/2 day of wheeling, we could meet somewhere on west 6th Ave, perhaps John Elway Jeep just past I-70. We plan to be back in town no later than 3 PM. He runs 33's on a TJ and 4 inches of lift, and I'm running 35's with 6 inches. From what he tells me this section of the trail is not for stock height vehicles ... he was hitting his belly up plate in places.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:31 PM

Sounds like descriptions I've heard of Miner's Gulch. I've tried a couple times to find it without success.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:31 PM

Sounds like descriptions I've heard of Miner's Gulch. I've tried a couple times to find it without success.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:30 PM

If anyone wants to join in for the fun and carnage, please let me know in this post by Friday evening, so I know whether or not we need to stop by John Elway Jeep near Golden just before 9 AM Saturday morning. We now have a lifted Rubicon with 33s joining us too. Should be fun!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:30 PM

If anyone wants to join in for the fun and carnage, please let me know in this post by Friday evening, so I know whether or not we need to stop by John Elway Jeep near Golden just before 9 AM Saturday morning. We now have a lifted Rubicon with 33s joining us too. Should be fun!
Old 10-06-2003, 07:46 AM

Default Successful run?

How did the trail turn out? I would be interested in getting directions to the trail if they are available. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:46 AM

Default Successful run?

How did the trail turn out? I would be interested in getting directions to the trail if they are available. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:58 PM

Well ends up the trail took off west of Idaho Springs, not near Central City at all. First time I'd been there, so my friend was leading the way. We took a lot of turns, but all in all, I think we determined that the rough part he was taking me to was the top of Spring Creek, which I've never been too before. This definitely is the most challenging section of trail I've come across within 50 miles of Denver.

We made a new friend, "J", in his lifted 2003 Rubicon who shot some video and tracked our route on GPS. You can see video of me going down the first obstacle at www.toyjeep.com/trails/video select Lamartine_Rich. You need a lot of bandwith to view this file.

We are headed back up there Sunday if the weather remains dry to try going up this section. We only had time to head down it before 15 rigs rolled in from below, blocking our way out, so we had to back track in a hurry missing the obstacles so we could make it back in town in time. Let me know if you have any interest in joining us.

Edit: Fixed nonworking link - Griz
Old 10-07-2003, 07:58 PM

Well ends up the trail took off west of Idaho Springs, not near Central City at all. First time I'd been there, so my friend was leading the way. We took a lot of turns, but all in all, I think we determined that the rough part he was taking me to was the top of Spring Creek, which I've never been too before. This definitely is the most challenging section of trail I've come across within 50 miles of Denver.

We made a new friend, "J", in his lifted 2003 Rubicon who shot some video and tracked our route on GPS. You can see video of me going down the first obstacle at www.toyjeep.com/trails/video select Lamartine_Rich. You need a lot of bandwith to view this file.

We are headed back up there Sunday if the weather remains dry to try going up this section. We only had time to head down it before 15 rigs rolled in from below, blocking our way out, so we had to back track in a hurry missing the obstacles so we could make it back in town in time. Let me know if you have any interest in joining us.

Edit: Fixed nonworking link - Griz