4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Trail Talk > Rocky Mountains

Old 07-30-2003, 05:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 74BRONCO
Default Iron Chest

Anyone ran Iron Chest Lately? I have heard that high clearance is ideal, but can anyone define just how high, clearance?

Also does anyone know more specific information on Halfmoon Rd and Mount Champion? What is to be expected and are there more specific directions? Thanks!
Old 07-30-2003, 05:24 PM

Default Iron Chest

Anyone ran Iron Chest Lately? I have heard that high clearance is ideal, but can anyone define just how high, clearance?

Also does anyone know more specific information on Halfmoon Rd and Mount Champion? What is to be expected and are there more specific directions? Thanks!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:16 PM

It's been a few years since I ran Iron Chest in my 85 four runner with a 2" lift and 32" tires. Clearance wasn't a problem. Low gears or an automatic are a plus because the first mile consists of loose basketball to medicine ball or bigger boulders in an eroded trough-like roadbed. I had no probably with my 100:1 gear ratio but stock gears would have been gruesome.

The Halfmoon/Mt. Champion road is gated before you get to anything interesting. At least it was two years ago. About 20 years ago the gate was open and I was able to drive almost all the way to the mine. The mine was incredible, as was the view down towards Independence Pass.

There is a great side road off of the Halfmoon road that is accessible. South Half Moon Creek takes you into the basin just west, I think, of Mount Elbert. The trail goes up to the Iron Mike Mine well above timberline. There are great camping spots with water in the basin that you will have all to yourself. Highly recommended. Probably rates a 5-7 in difficulty.

The South Halfmoon turn off is just a few miles above the Colorado Trail trailheads. Go to topozone.com if you need further directions.

Sparky
Old 07-30-2003, 09:16 PM

It's been a few years since I ran Iron Chest in my 85 four runner with a 2" lift and 32" tires. Clearance wasn't a problem. Low gears or an automatic are a plus because the first mile consists of loose basketball to medicine ball or bigger boulders in an eroded trough-like roadbed. I had no probably with my 100:1 gear ratio but stock gears would have been gruesome.

The Halfmoon/Mt. Champion road is gated before you get to anything interesting. At least it was two years ago. About 20 years ago the gate was open and I was able to drive almost all the way to the mine. The mine was incredible, as was the view down towards Independence Pass.

There is a great side road off of the Halfmoon road that is accessible. South Half Moon Creek takes you into the basin just west, I think, of Mount Elbert. The trail goes up to the Iron Mike Mine well above timberline. There are great camping spots with water in the basin that you will have all to yourself. Highly recommended. Probably rates a 5-7 in difficulty.

The South Halfmoon turn off is just a few miles above the Colorado Trail trailheads. Go to topozone.com if you need further directions.

Sparky
Old 07-31-2003, 03:00 AM

Here is a write up & some pics from North & South Half Moon Creeks. http://www.colorado4x4.org/cgi-bin/u...;f=11;t=000468
Old 07-31-2003, 03:00 AM

Here is a write up & some pics from North & South Half Moon Creeks. http://www.colorado4x4.org/cgi-bin/u...;f=11;t=000468
Old 07-31-2003, 08:09 AM

I think I will be fine with 2" suspension, 2" body and 33" tires on Iron Chest then. My gearing is about 55:1 and have not had trouble yet, but this may be my match.

I am intrigued by South Half Moon Creek. I am up in the Leadville area once in a while (actually lived there for a couple years), so that would be a fun trip! Thanks for the information. See you on the trail!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:09 AM

I think I will be fine with 2" suspension, 2" body and 33" tires on Iron Chest then. My gearing is about 55:1 and have not had trouble yet, but this may be my match.

I am intrigued by South Half Moon Creek. I am up in the Leadville area once in a while (actually lived there for a couple years), so that would be a fun trip! Thanks for the information. See you on the trail!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:22 AM

VTrover ran it a couple of weeks ago. He's running a Range Rover on 33's with a real nice custom built suspension. He sustained some body damage, and said the trail was definately one of the tougher one's he's ran.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:22 AM

VTrover ran it a couple of weeks ago. He's running a Range Rover on 33's with a real nice custom built suspension. He sustained some body damage, and said the trail was definately one of the tougher one's he's ran.