4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Trail Talk > Rocky Mountains

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2004, 02:31 PM

Default Fall river, ute creek

Just to let everyone know ute creek wide open just a little snow on the trail . Went ute creek to spring creek and did some other trails around there. Was having a good time tell my friend wanted to go up and down the hills at the top of ute creek and got stuck big time in some rocks and was high centered bad! He had a 94 ford explorer stock. Told him not a good idea but when there young they do not care , Let's just say I snap a 15,000 lbs tow strap and my 6000 lbs winch would not pull him out. Had to use the shovel. After we got out of that we went back to Idaho springs then to fall river Reservoir, That trail is open for the most part lot of water and mud. There was some people camping back there and said that the snow was to deep to drive in so my friend and his friend all went in my blazer and we made it about 1/8 of a mile from the reservoir and walked up to it,It still is about 85% frozen lot of snow on the west side. but it looks realy nice up there with the water rushing in to the reservoir and everything green. Just when we thought we would go home we went back by mount evans and at the top just past the toll road we found a trail fr 789( I think) went up that to find out it was a dead in and on the way back down we found another trail that goes to hwy 103 and I thought I could make it in the blazer bad choice!!!!!! we started to go down go about 20 foot from hwy 103 and the ground was wet and we slid and the left rear tire came up off the ground about 12 inchs. And so did the right front and I tryed to get out of the truck but I got out of the seat the rear end stared to go higher and about tiped over. it tock three people standing on my bumper a winch ,comealong, tow strap and the explorer to get out of there . Never again I'll go down that trail maybe up but not down. Thanks David