4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Trail Talk > Rocky Mountains

Old 09-27-2001, 04:33 PM
kc_flatlander

Angry Trail Near Breck!

I am trying to find a trail near Breckenridge...this trail comes out of Middle of South Fork Swan and ascends up to a lookout where you can see the slopes of Breck great as well as a small shack (that had some necessities the last time I was up there). The most interesting thing was a long dirt hill with some significant moguls. I have searched all over Middle and South fork for this trail. Can anyone help!!!

Thanks,
David
Old 09-27-2001, 04:39 PM
Will_TJ

There is a trail that comes out of Montezuma (sp?) called St. Johns that passes by a small shack and remnants of a mine near the top and you can see the slopes of Brecknridge.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:51 PM
2kCrew

Could be the St John's / Glacier Mtn trail that connects Middle Fork to Montezuma.
Does it pass by an abandoned shack right next to the trail about halfway up?

http://geocities.com/webdevasp/Fluor4x4/Montezuma.htm

[This message has been edited by 2kCrew (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old 09-27-2001, 05:49 PM
kc_flatlander

Arrow

Unfortunately, I don't think St. John's is it. We ran St. Johns from Montezuma and down Middle Fork last year and it isn't what we were looking for.

The way I remember this particular trail, we came out of Breck (up either Swan River valley or French Gulch), headed up a relatively easy trail next to a small creek on the left. Made a couple of switchbacks where there were some small mine reminents towards the top, and crested the hill on top of treeline (we also met some guys with built rigs from MHJC coming down). Above the treeline and one "level" of the summit, to the East was and awesome view of the Breck slopes. There was also a cabin on that edge of the summit that appeared to be an "oops, caught in the weather" cabin, with pots, pans, some canned food. Due West of this area the trail began a climb up the face of the hill, which was all dirt, big moguls and a pretty good incline. We watched as a Jeepster or Scout (can't remember) climbed right up it, an older Bronco died in the middle of the moguls and had to be winched over and an early 80s CJ went up and over. We were in a stock XJ and didn't venture up...I'm ready to tackle it, if I can ever find the darn thing!! I spent 4 hours today tooling around trails off of Georgia Pass and Middle Fork all to no avail!

I appreciate all of your help.

David
Old 09-27-2001, 10:41 PM
bill

I think you're looking for North Fork of the Swan. I was just up there about a week ago and the cabin you describe sounds just like the one we saw. Take Tiger Road out of Breck, go past the golf course and the old dreging piles. Turn left onto North Fork, a little ways after you enter National Forest go right past the remains of an old cabin and cross the creek. Continue up hill a couple miles. Near the top go right to the top of a hill to reach the cabin at a dead end, go left to cross the steep, mogully hill and connect to St. John's/Wild Irishman (which can also connect to Middle Fork of the Swan, Radical Hill, Deer Creek, etc.).
Old 10-01-2001, 03:09 PM
kc_flatlander

Unhappy

Bill

That sounds like it, exactly. Unfortunately, the family and I returned to KC from Breck on Saturday....before I had a chance to run up there. I guess I'll have to wait until next year

Thanks for your help!

David