4x4trails.net Forums

Go Back   4x4trails.net Forums > Trail Talk > Utah

Old 03-14-2005, 04:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 74BRONCO
Default ATV friendly trails in Moab

My folks are looking to take their first moab excursion next month on ATV's. My dad is a pretty good rider and my mom's not bad, but very timid. Anyway they are trying to get the trip planned, but are trying to do so via information through the internet. I was wondering if there is some ATV'ers out there who could help my folks plan a trip by giving me trail suggestions for intermediate riders and also places to avoid... Anything is helpful. Also is there a book for moab tuned for ATV's? Thanks for your help!

J.D.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2kcrew

Start here-> http://www.discovermoab.com/atv.htm

I would guess most of the popular Jeep trails are suitable for ATVs. Anything within Arches or Canyonlands is off-limits however.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 74BRONCO

Thanks for the link! I will pass it along. Why are the canyon lands and arches off limits? Are they for full size rigs too?

J.D.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2kcrew

Full size rigs are permitted inside park boundaries on designated trails. The ATV rule seems to be NP policy, probably due to riders failing to tread lightly, affecting the ecosystem.

I recommend the National Geographic Trails Illustrated set of maps. There's one just of the Moab area showing mtb bike and 4wd trails - green for easy, blue for medium, black for hard. There's also Mountain Bike America (Moab) by Lee Bridgers that contains a lot of trail descriptions and elevation profiles that I find quite detailed.

Outside of NP areas, I suggest Klondike Bluffs, Gemini Bridges, Onion Creek, as easy rides.