PDA

View Full Version : Help me out...

blazema187
04-28-2003, 09:02 PM
i have a 95 jeep cherokee and i want to jack it up...im 16 and low on money but bout to get a job...what size tires should i get how big of a lift etc??? thanks alot you guys

gatorade21
04-28-2003, 11:07 PM
There are several different levels of suspension lifts you could put on. I know what it is like to be in your position. Here is a list, anyone else feel free to add anything after I do.

1. Keep it stock. Yeah I know its not flashy or anything but it doesn't cost anymore and it will still go pretty far. Get some tow hooks a nice spare and go enjoy your jeep for a while. Learn how to use it and then decide if you want a lift.

2. A budget boost. Many different companies make simple 1-2.5" budget boost. This usually consists of a rear shackle or block (go with the shackle) and a front poly spacer or aluminum spacer. Some good companies for this kind of lift is Daystar and Teraflex and I am sure there are some others I can't think of. Avoid tomken if you can. They advertise 2" but they use a block and an aluminum spacer up front, its hard on the car. With 2" of lift you can fit 30X9.50s, which is a great tire size for a cherokee. It doesn't require you to change diff ratios, and actually improves the gas mileage somewhat. Any larger than 30" tire will cause lots of rubbing, lots.

2. A 3inch lift. You can get this for a cherokee form just about anyone. I think every company makes one. The best, in my opinion is to go with a good name, not the cheapest. Now if you want a cheap way to lift it three inches you can always stack some spacers up front and then use Dodge Dakota springs out back to give you 3inches. Now if you are going to do it and not have too many problems go with a brand name. I think Rusty's and Rubicon Express will get good reviews,I will also throw in my idea for Tomken, I like their control arms. At this point you can fit 31x10.50 tires. These may start to strain your drivetraing. Many different people have had different results from doing this. Its a gamble, and if you loose and find you do have to regear, I think I found a place in the springs that would do it for $1700 front and rear including labor. Well there are really to many options for this one so if you write me I can tell you more.

3. A 4 inch lift. This is a great buy in my opinion. The best company, by far, in my opinion is Teraflex. They have the best control arms on the market, and they are quality. I found one of their four inch lifts for $846 dollars. This would be a great buy. Now for comparison, you could getTomken or RE, but Tera is probably the best. Now with this size lift you could fit 32's. A nice size tire, but not readily available. Only a few companies really offer a 32inch tire, but some of the best do. ONce you get to this size its another gamble for gearing. It could work out great and you will notice an improvement in gas mileage from stock. Or on the other hand it could be horrible. You could loose all the gas mileage and torque. It's a gamble. I don't know what to say.

4. 6 or 8 inch lift. Unless you're rich, stay away. There are only a few companies that offer a lift of this size. Once again I would go with Teraflex. If you get 6inches you're going to probably have to get a SYE ($360 - for a quality one) and new rear driveshaft ($200-$400). Then you will have to regear, then your axles might not be able to handle the torque, new rear axle anywhere from a couple of hundred (if you're lucky) to several thousand.

So these are your basic options. I have a few words of wisdom. Don't get a cheap lift, get a quality lift. You really don't need a lift to wheel, these things go pretty far without mods. Avoid skyjacker, the heims have to be replaced every two years, they may seem flexy, but they are also exspensive. Right now I am in the process of saving for a Teraflex kit and a CJ that I can mess with on the weekends. Biggest thing is, just go wheeling with it stock, a lot, before you get a lift. Its fun and you'll learn a lot. Hell, come with me, we have some fun and our vehicles range from a yj with 33's to a tj with 28's. If you have any questions feel free to leave your e-mail and I'll answer any questions you may have.

Zach

blazema187
05-10-2003, 12:31 PM
what is a cheap but good 6 inch lift?? or at least what lifts should i stay away from when looking at 6 inches?

gatorade21
05-10-2003, 05:16 PM
check this out: http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/10_oct/6inchlift/6inchlift.html

if I was going to do six inches I would stick with some teraflex stuff or tomken. Remember the lift may cost only a little more than a grand, but the shocks, new driveshaft, gears, tires, and every other thing will cost a lot more.

Ex: Friend of mine has a 4 inch tomken lift kit for his xj
nice kit, rides well, cost: 729.00 from quadratrac, 1500 dollars later he finally had everything he needed.

Now you could always get a 3.5 or 4 inch lift kit and put a poly spacer on it. Now if you did that I would get adjustable control arms.

Stay away from skyjacker (IMHO), they just set you up for taking your money. A lot of people also use Rubicon Express, they have great prices, anbd people like them. You might want to go with them.

If you do a 6inch lift and get 33's, if you have the D35 I would be weary, its a very unstable axle. Some last forever, Most break, and with a 95 if it breaks you loose the axle out of the housing. That could get interesting.

Anyway a cheap but good lift in my opinion would be getting a four inch kit and then putting a spacer on top.
My Favs: Teraflex, Tomken, RE

any more questions feel free to ask

bill
05-11-2003, 12:29 AM
I would secong the notion of taking your time and not being in a rush to lift your Cherokee just for the sake of lifting it. You will be pleasantly surprised at how well it does stock and you will develop some valuable driving skills. This also gives you a chance to gain more knowlege and opinions about what you actually want to do with your rig in the long term.

Personally, I becoming a firm believer in a shorter lift (no more than 4") and fender trimming to fit larger tires. This keeps your center of gravity lower, helps with driveline angles and is more stable on the road. Several companies are starting to come out with long arm kits for the Cherokee as well.

If you have to do it now I would recommend Rubicon Express or Teraflex. I've heard mixed reviews on Tomken and Rusty's and would definitly stay away from ProComp and Skyjacker.

mooncricket
05-12-2003, 10:45 AM
yep, stay away from pro-comp. I had the 3inch on my 2000 Cherokee and I think I lost flex. Stay with Teraflex...

Markm80521
05-21-2003, 07:28 PM
I would concur with Bill on this one. I had my '88 for 10 years before I "built it out" and then only 4.5" which I feel is on the verge (sometimes) of too high. I don't know much about brands though. When I did mine I bought Rancho stuff for two reasons 1) Lifetime warranty 2) adjustable shocks because mine is a balance between on/off road. I DID hear enough about Tera-flex to know that they made great adjustable control arms and I used those on mine.

blazema187
05-25-2003, 01:12 PM
You guy are helping me alot!! thank you i have another question though, what is the biggest tires i could put on my jeep now(at the stock height).

gatorade21
05-25-2003, 09:31 PM
With your 95 you should be able to run 30x9.50's with a little rub on the flares when flexing. I have pictures of my 97 (which has smaller wheel wells) fully flexing with 2.0 inches of lift and 30x9.50's, if you want to see them just respond to this and i'll find some way to post them.

blazema187
05-25-2003, 11:38 PM
yeah id love to see them, if you want to e-mail me my address is...blazema187@yahoo.com