PDA

View Full Version : Front alignment

lostcreek21
02-28-2003, 10:17 PM
Hey guys. After I put on my 3 inch lift on my 87 cherokee I noticed that the passenger front wheel is having unusual tread wear. The outside edge of the tire is getting rounded off and going bald. The rest of the tire is fine. I'm not sure if this is toe-in, caster angle, or camber angle. And if it's one of these can you adjust it without a professional. Oh I also took the jeep into Les Schwab tires today and they said that I shouldn't have the alignment done because the tie rod from my pitman arm was loose and no good. Does anyone know where I can find one for a reasonable price and how hard it is to put in and whats involved? Thanks

MrZedExSixArgh
03-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Toe. Especially since you've the loose front end parts.
It's pretty straight forward to replace the tie rod, providing it isn't too rusted in and you have the right tools and experience. The part can likely be found at any auto parts store.
Be safe,

[This message has been edited by MrZedExSixArgh (edited 03-05-2003).]

bill
03-06-2003, 12:01 AM
Is it the tie rod or the drag link? Reference to the pitman arm has me confused.

satan
03-06-2003, 04:00 PM
They're probably only talking about the drag-link's tierod end at the pitman arm -- that'd cause more steering wander than alignment issues (they'd not be able to properly center the weel), but toe and Castor could'a been set... probably just looking ath the single easiest part (labor) to replace under there for a bigger work ticket...

It's like a 20MM Left-hand thread tie-rod-end -- maybe $27.50 or so... an easy DIY -- to adjust it after R&R'ing the part, drive your jeep straight and stop - leaving the thing running (park or whatever with the e-brake on and all) twist it's adjusting sleeve to center the wheel -- it may take a couple of tires (you'll probably over-shoot the first time) tighten the clamps when you've got it right.

No real tricks -- just assure yourself that your new part "sticks out" from the adjust as far as your old one did. Adding antisieze compound to the adjuster threads isn't a bad thing - it'll make adjusting and the next repair easier.

bill
03-07-2003, 04:59 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">They're probably only talking about the drag-link's tierod end at the pitman arm </font>

OK, that would make sense to me...

lostcreek21
03-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I figured out that my ball joint that connects the tie rod from the pitman arm to the passenger front wheel is loose and I need to replace it. Thanks