PDA

View Full Version : AMC 20 Rear

OlBlueCJ7
12-17-2002, 04:07 PM
I'd just like to vent a little anger and frustration here. The AMC 20 Rear blows goats as far as rebuild. Sure, the carrier seemed fairly simply, but after noticing my rear brakes were getting real sticky, I decided to replace the outer seal on the axle, and hey, since I'm already there, let's do the outer axle bearing and outer axle tube seal.... Yeah right! One full weekend, two evenings, a 20 ton hydraulic press later, I've finally got it back together. Boy would I like to meet the rocket scientist who designed a two-piece axle....

satan
12-19-2002, 10:07 AM
BTDT; brother, I feel your pain.

I'm sure that egg-head is long dead -- indicating that labor time was far less expensive "way back when"...

If there ever is a next time, there are some really nice 1-piece axle-shaft conversion kits available...

yellar bellied
03-05-2003, 12:05 AM
Just reading through some of the posts. I haven't been here for a while other than looking in the trails section.
I found a puller made specifically for pulling the hub off the axle and it works pretty good. You do have to use about an eight pound hammer on it though.
The best way to get the bearings off I've found is with a soft led 5'pipe large enough to slip over the axle but small enough to seat on the inner bearing cone. Just sliding the pipe a few times with the axle on a block of wood will drop those bearings right off and back on again.

www.fourwheelstampeders.ca/gallery/album04 (http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca/gallery/album04)

[This message has been edited by yellar bellied (edited 03-04-2003).]