PDA

View Full Version : any good trails close to Parker, Colorado?

muddinyota
04-12-2001, 04:48 PM
hey i was wondering, are there any good trails around Parker i am looking tell me what you can find,

Later,
Muddinyota

Stretch
04-12-2001, 05:46 PM
I've heard that there are some trails somewhere around Castlewood Canyon State Park, but I can't confirm that and don't believe it. If I hear of anything, I'll be sure to post it.

Sorry-Scott

------------------
scott@4x4trails.net

bill
04-12-2001, 06:29 PM
There are several easy to moderate trails along Rampart Range Road just west of Sedalia. That's no too far from Parker. If you don't mind going a little farther there are lots of neat trails along the Platte, south of Deckers including Metberry Gulch, Longwater Gulch and Hacket Gulch.

As far as I know, there are no 4x4 trails in Castlewood Canyon but the graded gravel road is a scenic drive.

Stretch
04-12-2001, 06:53 PM
Hey bill-

Thanks for the info. Do you know any specific trail names or road numbers? I'd like to add them to our database.

Thanks-Scott

------------------
scott@4x4trails.net

bill
04-13-2001, 11:41 PM
Here is some information on roads off of Rampart Range Road just southeast of Sedalia.

It is actually easier to access these roads from County Road 38. From Sedalia, head south on 67 for about a half mile and then turn south on 105. Go south on 105 for several miles (5 or 6? I?ve never clocked it). County Road 38 goes off to the west and should be fairly obvious. After a couple mile the road begins to climb. Near the top of the hill you will pass Shamballah-Ashrama (I think it?s some kind of retreat center. As you crest the hill make a left turn (I can?t remember the road name). You will descend steeply through a residential area. At the bottom of the hill go around the private bridge and through the creek. As you come up out of the creek bear to the left and up the road marked ?no maintenance: enter at your own risk? (or something like that). The first half mile or so of this road is on private property so be respectful of the owners. You eventually come out on Dakan Road (FS 563). This road is pretty easy but some of the side roads and spurs can be a little more interesting. Dakan Road winds its way generally south for quite a ways, eventually coming out on Rampart Range Road a couple miles south of Jackson Creek Campground.

If you stay on County Road 38 instead of turning left at the top of the hill you end up on the Jackson Creek Road (FS 502) which connects to Rampart Range Road via FS 507. The maps also show 502 following the creek all the way south past the Devil?s Head to the Jackson Creek Campground but I believe a small parcel of private land has closed this connection.

A little over half way down the Dakan Road (as described above) you encounter FS 503 going off to the west. This is Watson Park Road and it connects over to the southern part of the Jackson Creek Road near Jackson Creek campground. There are some side roads and a significant spur off of 503 which I have not tried but I?ve heard can be mildly challenging.

If you turn right on Rampart Range Road when you come off of Dakan Road (I always think of it as north because you?re going back towards Denver but you?re actually going southwest on that part of the winding road) in about a quarter mile FS 348 goes off to the left. (If you?re coming south on Rampart Range Road it?s a right turn about 2 miles past the Jackson Creek Road.) This is Long Hollow Road and it connects to a whole network of roads which eventually lead to highway 67 a little south of Westcreek.

All of these roads probably rate between 2 and 4 a few of the harder spurs may get up to 5. Good maps for this area are the Pike National Forest map and Trails Illustrated 135: Deckers/Rampart Range. There is also some good information in the CA4WDCI Trail Book #2

Stretch
04-16-2001, 12:16 PM
Hey Bill-

Thanks for the information, that's exactly what I needed. I've added this information to our database (search for Rampart Range). I appreciate the info and would like to send you out a t-shirt or sticker. Please email me and thanks again.

-Scott

------------------
scott@4x4trails.net