PDA

View Full Version : Winch?

Smitty4thgen
03-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Well its about that time for a new toy, and I just got a warn brush guard, so naturally I need a winch! I am really interested in the XD9000i, I have heard all good stories about it, and being Warn it will probably last more years then I will use it.

But what do you guys think? I know some of you guys have winches and such. Does anyone have the XD9000i? If so, do you like it?

Dirty Dog
03-29-2005, 07:26 AM
[Moved to the tech section where it belongs...]

It's hard to say whether this is a good choice without knowing specifically what you're going to use it on, and how.

Is 9000lbs enough? depends on the rig. A good place to start is a winch with a pull rating equal to 1.5 times the weight of your rig, and go up from there. You can never have too much pull.

The electric vs hydraulic argument will rage on forever. If you need to make long pulls, you're better off with hydraulic. If you most make occassional short pulls and want more line speed, then electric is your choice.

Some will point out that hydraulics only work when the engine is running, but with 750-800 amp draw, an electric won't work for long either.

Is Warn a good choice? Certainly it's one of the top brands, and I've not heard complaints from those who own Warn products.

I use a Milemark 12,000lb hydraulic winch on my Ram. It's not a fast winch, but it will lift most rigs completely off the ground and will pull forever without overheating. I've made many short pulls and one that lasted over an hour (winch my friend, drive 100 feet, winch him up, drive another 100 feet...) without any problems. The only problem I ever had was my fault, when I snarled the winch cable at Four Wheelers RTCC.
My Wrangler (currently being built) will use an electric, but I'm not sure which. I'm leaning towards the Milemarker simply because it's siginificantly cheaper than a Warn or Ramsey with similar features.

MSCH2112
03-29-2005, 09:24 AM
the xd9000i is a good winch. been around for many years. i have the 9.5ti and love it. never had it stall or overheat.

mike

satan
03-29-2005, 01:21 PM
I've got the XD9000i -- I'd have the HS, but it won't fit in my mount...

Lots'a tug with adequate speed -- upgraded from an MX6000 that I'd had for more than a decade - no real reason other than the 6000 was bought for a lighter vehicle then strapped on my XJ since I had it already...

Warn offers some excellent customer service and parts (most folks will NEVER need service parts) are easy to come by.

About the only thing I don't like is the "i" part -- the solenoids, being integrated into the body of the winch can sometimes limit mounting options -- by the same token, the solenoid rail does provide a more rigid frame and will allow additional cable capacity for a bit more reach.

The wired remote is of the Warn 2nd generation - introduces a "broken ground" feature to help disconnect things now that Warn has gone to multiple solenoids for each direction (Gen 1 had only qty=3 wires, Gen 2 needs qty=5) -- Reliable and an added margin for safety.

Watch pricing and stuff -- these'll occaisionally go on sale to some fairly affordable prices.

I can't say anything bad about mine. I imagine that it should last at least as long as my last few Warn winches...

Smitty4thgen
03-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys! I still have heard nothing bad about the Warns so I will probably order it in the next few days.

Thanks again, Jared