PDA

View Full Version : Detroit True-Trac?

damo252
08-16-2004, 02:49 PM
I have been looking at one of these detroit true tracs for my toyota axles. I don't know much about them except for the reviews I can find online, and they sound pretty good. Has anyone out there had personal experience with these limited slip differentials?

How is the power diversion?

How is the steering effected?

What so you generally think of them?

Thanks for your input

ruckerr
08-17-2004, 06:26 AM
A friend of mine put one in the front of a Chevy Pickup with Boggers. It seemed to work good at first but faded quickly. After a couple months, it had faded to the point that it rarely helped him. If you are just looking for some help on the street (in the rear) or very moderate wheeling they might be okay but for heavy wheeling you will be better served by a locker of some kind.

74BRONCO
08-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Selectable is the way to go up front, but those are a lot more moeny.

I think a true-trac work pretty good in the front of your Sammi. I never have had one, but I did a lot of research because I was going to put one in my F-150. I heard of a fella who had one in the front of his full size bronco and he liked it. He also had a detroit in the rear.

I would think you'll want something more aggresive for the rear. Maybe the Detroit locker.

yam396
08-17-2004, 09:23 AM
hey Damo,
I got a truetrac in my yj rear. Works pretty good, but i should have put it in the front and put a locker in the rear.
I dont know if you trailer your sammi every where but if you do put at least a locker in the rear and the truetrac up font or lockers in both.
I think i may save up and go lock right in rear and truetrac up front cause a drive my yj every where and i dont want the driving characteristic with lockers in the front.

bigo
08-17-2004, 09:37 AM
check out a Auburn unit. they have a web site that compares
all of the LSUs. It's www.auburngear.com

damo252
08-17-2004, 10:18 AM
ok to clearify all of this. I tow my Sammi every where. It does not see the highway really at all.

I will have a spool in the rear.

The reason I am looking at a soft locker is because I do not have power steering, and have big tires that I need to turn. I am worried that a full locker will not allow me to turn. I also do not want to have to worry about breaking a bunch of birfield joints which can always be an issue.

I have heard that the true trac does not work if a tire is fully off of the ground unless you apply brakes, and then it is almost as good as a full locker. Does anyone have experience with this?

ruckerr
08-17-2004, 10:30 AM
My friend tried the brake thing. Might slightly help at best. The brake has to be applied hard enough to stop the "free wheel" from spinning. The same brake pressure is being applied to the other three wheels. The more dramatic the situation, the more brake pressure it's going to take, up to the point that you can't spin your wheels because you have the brakes clomped. Nothing replaces a locker.
I have a YJ with V-8 conversion, etc., etc. I welded an 8.8 for the rear and continue to run my D30 open in the front. I wheel the pants off it and don't break front axle parts with 35" tires. I couldn't get by that good if I locked the front. I'm like you, I don't want to be broke in the front all the time. I also have a Rubicon with lockers. As I said earlier, nothing replaces a locker and the Ruby will go where the YJ won't. For what you are going to pay for a limit slip, I think you are going to be disappointed in the results. I would either run it open or selectively lock it and be gentle on the go pedal.

summitjeep
08-17-2004, 05:48 PM
I have the Detroit Soft Locker in the rear of my CJ-7. I do notice some difference in driving on the street when I accelerate and decel. I can feel the locker pulling one side or the other a little. No problem, just feel it a little. Occasionally I get a "clunk" as the locker unloads. I am pulling with alot engine.

Off-road, its seems to pull great. I have a power trac up front. I climbed Radical Hill on Sunday, all fours were pulling and it handeled great.

I am happy with the Detroit Locker.

74BRONCO
08-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Yeah Torque Steer is a wierd feeling!

photontraveler
12-20-2004, 08:56 AM
I just had a Detroit True Trac installed in my Jeep Tj front Dana 30.
Amazing difference on the Beach. My jeep literally blows across the sand now. Even the deep stuff doesn't bog me down. I haven't had a chance to try it on the trail yet but I am so impressed with the performance on the beach dunes I ordered another for my Dana 44 rear.

Marko

74BRONCO
12-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Marko,

I just want to add my $.02 here. Glad you like the truetrac, and glad it's working well, but I think before you install the new one in your D35, you might wheel with the one in the front for a while or at least one trip before you install. If I am thinking correctly, the truetrac isn't a true locker, but more of a limited slip. Probably the best LS out there, but still a LS. My point being, usually folks put a "locker" in the rear, something more aggresive. I don't have any experience with the truetrac, but I know LS's are known to fail when most needed.

On your next wheeling trip when you have a front tire off the ground, see if the other tire is still pulling. If it is, then install the rear truetrac. If not, then you might look into what else tractech offers in a locker. In sand I imagine you keep your speed up and that allows the front to work at relativly the same speed all the time. Wheeling on the rocks is different, when you totally loose traction on one wheel, usually a limited slip won't help a whole lot, but a locker will grab and force both wheels to spin.

A limited slip works great in the front because if you need traction to the wheel in the air, you can use your brakes (which send more power to the front) to make that tire grab and "feel" traction, causing the LS to make the tire with the traction to start pulling. It's hard to get enough brake pressure to the rear to make it work.

I hope I made sense here and it IS your choice. If you are happy with whatever setup you have then that is what counts, who cares what I or anyone else thinks. I just hate to see a fella get something and then it not work as he expected.

Do let us know!

J.D.

damo252
12-20-2004, 09:46 AM
74Bronco makes several very good points. A limited slip on the front is good, a limited slip in the rear it weak. The brake thing is very true, and since you don't have to steer the rear you don't have to worry about the locker as much in the rear.

photontraveler
12-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by 74BRONCO

I truly would like a detroit locker in the rear but this jeep is my daily driver and I have worries about the street performance............................any help or experience would be greatly appreciated....................................... ...
Marko,

I just want to add my $.02 here. Glad you like the truetrac, and glad it's working well, but I think before you install the new one in your D35, you might wheel with the one in the front for a while or at least one trip before you install. If I am thinking correctly, the truetrac isn't a true locker, but more of a limited slip. Probably the best LS out there, but still a LS. My point being, usually folks put a "locker" in the rear, something more aggresive. I don't have any experience with the truetrac, but I know LS's are known to fail when most needed.

On your next wheeling trip when you have a front tire off the ground, see if the other tire is still pulling. If it is, then install the rear truetrac. If not, then you might look into what else tractech offers in a locker. In sand I imagine you keep your speed up and that allows the front to work at relativly the same speed all the time. Wheeling on the rocks is different, when you totally loose traction on one wheel, usually a limited slip won't help a whole lot, but a locker will grab and force both wheels to spin.

A limited slip works great in the front because if you need traction to the wheel in the air, you can use your brakes (which send more power to the front) to make that tire grab and "feel" traction, causing the LS to make the tire with the traction to start pulling. It's hard to get enough brake pressure to the rear to make it work.

I hope I made sense here and it IS your choice. If you are happy with whatever setup you have then that is what counts, who cares what I or anyone else thinks. I just hate to see a fella get something and then it not work as he expected.

Do let us know!

J.D.

74BRONCO
12-20-2004, 02:07 PM
I know someone on here will know, and maybe give tractech a call, but the Detroit that I put in my F-150 had less than diserable street manners. Around corners if I left the clutch engaged, it would learch and halt like I was just learning to drive a standard. So I just put it in neutral around corners of dis-engage the clutch. I don't know why this would happen, but maybe a different gear oil would have been better??? I used Mobil 1 Syn., which I was told by a friend to use. Also an Auto tranny will have constant torque on the unit and it may work better than with a standard. I am sure there are other alternatives out and maybe someone with experience with a different model.

I hope you find what you want!

J.D.

'89Burb
01-10-2005, 12:37 PM
For what it's worth, I know that Dirty Dog has a Detroit in the rear of his Ram. He drives it all the time and has no complaints. I also worked with a fellow who has an '88 Bronco as a daily driver, and it's also got a Detroit in the rear (and the front too, I think). He says the same thing as DD - once you get used to it, the Detroit becomes practically a non-player.

I know the Bronco has a manual tranny - not sure what's in the Ram.

k2500
10-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Get the locker or nothing. If you are hardcore enough to need more than a rear locker dont wast your time with a LS unit. That is just like putting a band aid on a problem. If the front end is limiting you lock it up. And if you think it cant take it put some beefy shafts in it then the axle will hold up.

k2500
10-04-2006, 01:56 PM
I have a 94 chevy 2500 with a locked rear and a manual transmission. Once you learn how to drive with it you cant hardly notice it is back there untill you need it then its there in a big way.

BULLET II
10-28-2008, 05:26 PM
I have a 2003 Chevy 1500 Z71 that did not come stock with the G80 rear end. I use this truck primarily on the highway and to ease around pasture land and some light muddy areas to hunt out of. I called 4 wheel parts seeking guidance on what type of locker to put in the rear. I gave them the information that I listed above on my truck and how I used it and they said the only way to go was the detroit tru trac. They flat said no to a full locker. I have only had the tru tac about a week and havenít had the chance to really test it, but what little i have it has worked great. Anytime the rear wheels have spun they both engage. I purposely put it in a bind and finally made it unlock when all the weight was on one wheel. I applied the parking brake just slightly and it locked them both up and worked perfectly.

They also told me for the specific make and model there was nothing made for the front, not even a selectable locker such as an e-locker or ARB.

For those of you that have experience with lockers could you tell me if I should have went with more in the rear, and if there is something I can change in my front end to put something in it and remain safe on the highway?

74BRONCO
10-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Bullet - I think you made a wise choice, but I personally take what 4WP says with a grain of salt because they have a hard time getting me the right parts for common axles etc. However, in this instance and for what you use the rig for, it will probably work fine. I don't know a thing about the front of your truck, but your best bet is to find out what axle it is and then research from there. Maybe check out www.coloradok5.com.

Where a full-on detroit locker is good is when you need the strength as well as the traction (like on the rocks).

J.D.

Dirty Dog
10-29-2008, 09:30 AM
For the light duty you describe, the true-trac is an excellent choice. You don't really need a full locker. I am not sure what axle you have in the front, but given that the '03 Chevy is IFS, you do NOT want a locker anyway. You'll just break things. Another limited slip, sure, if you're careful on the throttle, but IFS systems are just not built for the punishment a fully locked differential can deliver.

BULLET II
10-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Thank you both for the quick response. I was hoping I had been told correctly. I just hate having a 4x4 that only pulls with two wheels. From all the info I am gathering I don't see any solutions for the front except leave it alone.