PDA

View Full Version : GPS Tracklog

atvtrailrider
07-22-2004, 12:07 AM
How do you submit a GPS tracklog for a trail? What software is needed?

How can I make and them print my own maps with a gps tracklog of a certain trail?

2kcrew
07-22-2004, 11:08 AM
The "submit trails" form on this site looks like it only supports waypoints. Not sure if you can upload complete tracklogs at this point. As for software I have had good luck using EasyGPS (www.easygps.com). For maps you need some sort of mapping program like Topo! or Delorme.

Dirty Dog
07-22-2004, 11:15 AM
The sbumission here does not support direct uploads like that. Not yet at least. You can submit the trail and input waypoints manually. If you make a map, save it as a .jpg file and send it in. It can be added manually.

atvtrailrider
07-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Well has anybody here had sucess making some maps? Someone must have. This months feature trail has a map with it with what looks like someones GPS tracklog?

2kcrew
07-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Atvtrailrider, can you clarify? Are you trying to make maps from your own GPS or are you just wanting to download the map image from this site? What kind of GPS and what mapping program you are using? I'm sure someone here will be familiar with the specific process. In my case I hook the Garmin to my serial cable, and use the Topo! mapping software's import wizard to download tracks to the map. Or I draw a route on the map and export it back out to the GPS unit.

If you are just wanting a copy of the posted route, simply right click your mouse and save the image to your computer and print it out.

Dirty Dog
07-23-2004, 04:49 AM
The maps here aren't GPS tracklogs. The one you mention (China Wall) was produced with the Delorme TopoUSA program. Others were produced by National Geographics Topo! program.

I use the Delorme software (StreetUSA for road driving, and either TopoUSA or TopoQuads for trails) on my laptop, coupled to the Earthmate GPS from Delorme. The Topo programs include trail info, and the trails are routeable, and you can add routeable trails/roads if you find something not already included.

Both the Delorme and Topo! programs will save a GPS tracklog as a routeable trail, and I suppose most other GPS programs will have the same function.