PDA

View Full Version : cutting the top of an xj

D-Rock
05-12-2004, 02:18 AM
has anyone ever heard of or done this themselves? I'm thinking about cutting the entire top off an 88 xj. i figured if i measured it to get it's original square measurements then weld some braces in to the lower portions of the body. Then take a plasma cutter and cut off the top about 3-4 inches below the rear window. Then add a roll cage to strengthen the body again. Find some doors in a junk yard and make some half doors and go wheelin. What do you think is it possible, it sure looks good on paper.

Stretch
05-12-2004, 11:05 PM
I've seen quite a few in magazines that turned out pretty nice. Being that the XJ is a unibody you'll definitely need the cage for getting the rigidity back once the top's cut. American Expedition Vehicles did a really nice job of cutting the back off an XJ, just behind the doors. It looked pretty slick. If you've got the tools, I say go for it!

-Stretch

D-Rock
05-13-2004, 01:36 AM
Thanks Stretch,
I was pretty sure it had been done before, and that it should work. I'm definately going to take my time on this one. Gonna be measuring 4 times and cutting once, cause once is all you got. Thanks again for the encouragement, i'll let ya know how it comes out. D-Rock

MackieXJ
05-15-2004, 02:19 AM
you might ask some of the guys at the yahoo group colorado xj, they are some experianced and knowldgeable people there that might be able to help you out.
Chris