PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Pass

otisdog
08-02-2001, 02:37 PM
Hi this is Jim. The wife and I are headed down to Ouray this coming Sunday and I would appreciate any info on Black Bear - what's it like going down the switchbacks on the Telluride side. I've heard everything from "tough and very dangerous" to "piece of cake". Thanks for your input.
Jim

bill
08-02-2001, 02:50 PM
I've done Black Bear several times including a couple of time in a stock '84 S-10 Blazer before I bought my Cherokee, so it is doable in stock rigs. If you have no fear of heighths, it's not extreamly tough but it is very narrow with very tight switch backs and a very long way down if you go over. The views are spectacular and the wild flowers are gorgeous!

Jokald
08-02-2001, 07:26 PM
I agree with Bill. I went down Black Bear last August in a TJ. It makes you think it is more difficult than it really is. I thought the drop down to the switchbacks was more intense than the actual switchbacks. We made it down without a problem. It does give new meaning to the term "shelf road". If you are out in that area and don't take Black Bear you have missed the best trail in the area.

lemsip
08-03-2001, 09:31 AM
Some pictures of an Xterra going down Black Bear

http://www.xterrain.com/blackbear1.html